Plympton Football Club was playing as early as 1921 in the Mid-Southern League but the current club was formed in 1937 by a local resident Robert McGhee, a former Victorian and Essendon supporter; hence the club colours. However, the chosen emblem was the Bulldog which still applies. Up until the 1970s, McGhee’s wife May made all the club’s lace-up guernseys. The clubrooms were renovated in 1979, when the on-field performances were also smartened up by the appointment of ex-Port Adelaide star Wayne Broadbridge as coach who took Plympton to a premiership. This success was followed by the appointment of ex-West Adelaide Reserves coach Trevor Potts, who led the team to the Grand Final every year he coached before the club joined the SAFA in 1990. In SAFA it proved extremely competitive, playing in Grand Finals in 1990 and 1992, then when SAFA folded it joined the amateurs in Division 2 and since then has spent most of its time in Division 3. The record holder for games played is club stalwart John Williams who played 435 games and then became the club’s chief administrator.
A History of the South Australian Amateur Football League 1911-1994, Fred Bloch © 1995